USDA Home Loans for the Self-Employed
Looking for a home loan when you are self-employed can be a bit challenging but a USDA loan may be a great option. Many banks and lenders shy away from this type of loan due to the complex nature and experience that it requires. These scenarios can be complicated but with proper analysis and documentation the outcome can be successful. This short video will explain how to qualify for a USDA home loan if you are self-employed.
via How do you qualify for a USDA Mortgage if you are self-employed?.
Who are considered self-employed when applying for a USDA loan?
• 1099 Contractors are considered self-employed
• W2 Employees who are 100% commissioned
• Converting from a self-employed to a W2 employee can be acceptable
What are the USDA guidelines for the self-employed?
Minimum guidelines require that a self-employed borrower must have 2 years of self-employment history. Common documents that will be needed for verification purposes include articles of incorporation when applicable and at least 2 years of both business and personal tax returns. Also, keep in mind your tax returns should include all pages and schedules. If you filed an extension, make sure to have the signed extension available for underwriting.
Tax return documentation includes but not limited to:
• Business tax returns for corporations
• Schedule C for sole proprietors
• Partnership details if applicable
• Signed extensions when necessary
• Year to Date Profit & Loss Statement
• Year to Date Balance Sheet
What are the USDA home loan income limits for the self-employed?
As with all USDA home loans, income limits will apply and qualifying income for a USDA home loan for the self-employed is based on your adjusted income. The adjusted income is calculated after expenses are deducted. Your qualifying income is not based on gross commissions or your total sales. When following USDA guidelines for self-employment, alternative income documentation such as bank statements showing deposits are not acceptable. Read more about the USDA eligibility requirements for the self-employed.
We realize that qualifying when you are self-employed may seem overwhelming, but we offer the unique experience and expertise to help with each step of the process.
Senior Loan Officer
phone: (502) 905-3708
- What Are USDA Loans? (louisvillekentuckymortgagerates.com)
- Kentucky USDA Rural Development Mortgage (kentuckyusdaloan.com)
- Kentucky VA Loan Guidelines (trulia.com)
- New lower minimum credit score requirements for our Kentucky Conforming Government and USDA programs (trulia.com)
- Compensating Factors to Overturn a Mortgage Denial on a Kentucky Fha and Usda Mortgage Loan: (mylouisvillekentuckymortgage.com)